Asia-Pacific Sub-regional Environmental Policy Dialogue
For more detail :
|News date 15-Nov-2004
The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MoNRE) of the Royal Thai Government and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) will co-host the Second Asia Pacific Sub-regional Environmental Policy Dialogue (SEPD) on 17 November 2004 at Plaza At Plaza Athenee Hotel, Bangkok Thailand.
The SEPD which brings together Ministers and eminent persons from the five sub-regions of the Asia-Pacific, namely Central Asia, Northeast Asia, South Asia, Southeast Asia and the South Pacific, will be chaired jointly by His Excellency Suwit Khunkitti, Minister of Natural Resources and Environment and Dr. Klaus Toepfer, Executive Director of UNEP. The focus of the half day informal policy dialogue will be on global environmental issues, UNEP's strategy and activities in the region, as well as on emerging environmental issues in the Asia-Pacific region.
- The first agenda item emphasizes on the strategic plan on technology support and capacity building for the environment.
- The second agenda will be the discussion on the three year regional strategies to guide UNEP's programmes and activities in the region.
- Lastly, the meeting will identify emerging issues facing each sub-region and the Asia Pacific Region as a whole. The expected outcomes of the forum are:
1. the regional inputs to the intergovernmental strategic plan on technology support and capacity building;
2. policy guidance on effective implementation of UNEPs programs in the Asia and Pacific Region.
3. advice to UNEP on critical and emerging issues which are the concern of the Asia Pacific Region.
In his statement, H.E. Suwit indicates that Thailand is honored to represent ASEAN Sub-region at this important forum. Thailand as the host of the UNEP Regional Office for the Asia Pacific, would like to extend its support to UNEP's work for the region as well as to provide close cooperation with countries in the region in implementing the global commitments under the Multilateral Environmental Agreements as well as the WSSD.
Contact : Jiranun Hempoonsert (jiranan(dot)h(at)pcd(dot)go(dot)th)